Who are G+D Vickers: Produces simple pressings up to complex precision pressings and fabricated assemblies mainly for the aerospace and defence sector.
Problem: Copper plated electric motor rotors damaged in transit.
How Columbus helped: Designed a packaging solution to avoid transit damage to parts and present the product in a packaging with the correct quantity per pack for assembly.
Solution: Agile | Bespoke | Competitive costing | Provided improved handling system for end of line customer.
Site visit to discuss packaging solution to avoid costly rework of components and more importantly, to retain important customer.
- Defined use of product and specific transit damage problems: Cooper Rods used in batches of 12, (36 per motor = 3 batches of 12).
- Asked, ‘what is important to you and to this product?’
- Dimensional accuracy of copper rod
- The Columbus team responded by evaluating both standard and bespoke packaging solutions and ways of keeping costs to a minimum.
- Two design proposals were sent within 5 days.
- G+D Vickers team selected a design in conjunction with their customer.
- G+D Vickers raised an order the same day as receiving proposal.
- Sample sent and approved within 11 working days.
In production and 1st delivery sent 4 days later of 60 trays.
You can download a copy of this case study here
“We have worked with Columbus in the past and ordered various standard packaging solutions. However, the latest project we had a meeting with them to discuss our bespoke packaging requirements.
We had a customized tray and lid made for delicate parts we were sending to our customer to avoid transit damage. From start to finish the communication was consistent throughout, after viewing prototypes and agreeing on a final model to receiving the parts was very quick.
We would definitely recommend Columbus and would not hesitate to use their Company again, especially for bespoke packaging.”
Download a copy of the case study here.